I present the community a very serious question and I could not possibly ask or say it any better than my old pal Cat Stevens:
I know we’ve come a long way, We’re changing day to day, But tell me, where do the children play?
Beerwah is changing day to day and for that I am very thankful, we have a wonderful Streetscape and a wonderful place to hold Street Parties and many new places to spend money, but I am not entirely sure we are changing in ways which benefit our children.
- I know we have a wonderful Street Scape and I like it
- I know we have the Beerwah Skatepark and I appreciate the Skatepark,
- I know we have Beerwah Sports Ground and the Sports Ground is wonderful
- I know we have the Glasshouse Sports ground and it’s amazing,
- I know we have the Beerwah Swimming Pool and Brendan is a fantastic role model.
- I know we have the Cauldron or Washing Machine at the Beerwah Water Hole and I really enjoy going there, and I am sure you do too.
We also have Skippy Park, and I think that it’s a wonderful community asset, and I have very fond memories of crawling under the fence with a few of my friends and passing our road bikes over the fence and enjoying Skippy Park long before it was officially opened.
I also have quite recent memories of watching one of my dearest friends skateboard on his tummy through a drainpipe under and across the Landsborough Road. The irony was while my friend is a little closer to 100 years than he is to his 1st birthday, and he was, for those moments, closer to being a teenager than many of the youngsters who roam Beerwah’s Streets searching for something to do or to enjoy, to learn or to find someone to communicate with and learn from.
I feel that if we as Adults are looking for a bit of fun, how much more so do the 2500 kids who visit Beerwah five days a week during term time need places to enjoy, something a bit more than the skatepark.
the first thing we built when we settled in Australia was a prison, and the first thing we built when they established a young community is a skatepark. … ke! say what?
I have developed a very healthy respect for Editors in general, writing is not easy, and writing sensibly is even harder, (this may explain why in 10 years of writing I only have 4 editorials), so I can only imagine how difficult it must be to write sensibly week after week about topics which impact our society and culture in a way which can withstand serious discussion or debate.
I was asked by someone this week about this website www.glasshousecountry.com and what it’s all about, and because the question came from a very genuine source I attempted to give her complete answer and immediately realised that I did not have an ‘elevator pitch’, a 60 second explanation about what I was doing or where I was going with this community adventure.
In the same way, I’m sure if you asked our community leaders the question “Where do the children play?”. I doubt they would be able to offer you a 60 second explanation.
Proverbs says: ‘Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.”
In the same way, I feel if you ask any parent living in Beerwah what’s important to them you might initially get answers like: improved road infrastructure, raised pedestrian crossings, new seating and provisions for outdoor dining, active open space and civic areas, including increased footpath spaces, improved lighting, shade trees ….. all very good things of that I’m sure.
Please take a moment to complete our poll below.
However if you take the time and dig a little deeper you might well get to the question Cat Stevens asked us in 1970.
I know we’ve come a long way, We’re changing day to day,
But tell me, where do the children play?
Other Puzzles to Solve
- Puzzle 06: Would you prefer Bunnings or Masters or Hungry Jacks or McDonalds?
- Question: Where do you shop? ALDI, IGA, Woolworths, Coles or CostCo?
- Puzzle 05: Which will Beerwah choose to be like? Maleny Noosa or Caboolture?
- Puzzle 04: But tell me, where do the children play?
- Puzzle 03: How to reduce your Monthly Bank Fees by $60 a Year?
- Puzzle 02: Why Is the Beerwah IGA and Target Carpark turning away customers?
- Puzzle 01: The Puzzle 02: Tale of Two Estates, (Lushland and Coochin Twins)
- Puzzle 00: What is really Important?
- Will Beerwah get a Reject Shop? or King Kong Sales? Gone Bonkers? or One? Both? None?